YMCA Camp Thunderbird sits on 103 acres of land, and backs up to Pocahontas State Park. Thunderbird was originally a Boy Scout camp. Established as a YMCA camp in 1966, Camp Thunderbird boasts breathtaking natural beauty while providing a structured camp environment full of all the amenities a camper could ever want. Pristine woods encompass a six-acre Lake George and many camp attractions including swimming pools, rustic cabins, trails, and more!
Here are is what Camp Thunderbird has to offer on our campus:
- Camp Office and Residence
- Beautiful 6-acre lake
- 2 Outdoor Pools (for summer camp participants only)
- Splash Park
- Wooded area and Fields
- Climbing Alpine Tower
- Two Zip Lines that travel over the lake
- Archery and Rifle Ranges
- Large Conference Building for dining or meeting
- Covered Pavilions and Buildings for meeting spaces
- 6 Bathroom Facilities
- 15 Primitive open-air cabins
- 3 large outdoor amphitheaters
All areas are off limits to the public and are not open for use for YMCA members unless participating in a Camp Thunderbird sanctioned program. Using these facilities without prior permission is prohibited.